Repair and Strengthen Your Smile with Dental Fillings
If your tooth has sustained damage due to decay, a composite filling can restore form and function to your smile. This treatment can also strengthen a broken or cracked tooth, or a tooth that has been worn down from bruxism (tooth grinding and clenching). During treatment, we can place composite resin material within a compromised tooth for added strength and protection. At Parkway Dental in Albuquerque, NM, Dr. Michael D. Haight offers durable tooth-colored dental fillings, which are designed to blend seamlessly with your teeth for beautiful, long-lasting results.
Do You Need a Filling?
A dental filling is used to treat mild to moderate decay or damage. You may require a filling if you experience:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Pain in and around the tooth
- Discomfort when biting down or chewing
- A small hole or fractures in the tooth
During your visit, we can conduct a thorough examination to determine whether this form of treatment is right for you. In cases of more extensive decay, you may require an inlay or onlay, or a dental crown.
Diagnosis with Innovative Technology
X-rays are a vital part of the examination process. These scans enables Dr. Haight to properly diagnose your condition and plan the best course of treatment. For your health and safety, we are proud to offer the latest in digital diagnostic technology at Parkway Dental. Our modern x-ray equipment emits 90 percent less radiation than traditional units.
For your health and safety, we are proud to offer the latest in digital diagnostic technology at Parkway Dental.
When you arrive for your consultation, we can take x-rays of your smile to detect any instances of tooth decay. After evaluating your oral health and digital images, we can design a custom treatment plant to meet your needs.
Placing Your Dental Filling
Before beginning treatment, we can administer a local anesthetic to numb the tooth and ensure your comfort. We can then prepare the tooth by removing all areas of decay. After thoroughly cleaning the tooth, we can fill the tooth with a composite material. To ensure the strongest, most durable restoration, we can carefully layer it during the filling process. We can then apply a special curing light, which will harden the material in place. Once complete, we can assess your occlusion to make sure the filling fits comfortably and securely in your bite. We can make any alterations as needed, before polishing your restoration to add the finishing touches.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings can protect the longevity of your smile, while looking and feeling natural. Other benefits include:
- Durability: As metal fillings expand and contract with changes in temperature, they can create small fractures in the tooth over time. Composite fillings do not alter their shape, maintaining the structural integrity of the tooth.
- Conservation: When preparing your tooth for treatment, we typically do not need to remove as much of the natural tooth structure with composite fillings as we do with silver amalgam material.
- Aesthetics: Tooth-colored fillings offer optimal aesthetics. We can carefully select the shade of your material to ensure it blends seamlessly with your smile. As a result, these restorations are virtually indistinguishable from your teeth.
If you currently have a silver amalgam filling, our team can replace your restoration with a composite filling.
Preserve Your Oral Health
At Parkway Dental, we have a patient-centric approach to dentistry. We tailor each of our treatments to your unique dental needs and goals. To protect your oral health, we recommend scheduling regular checkups twice per year. During these visits, we can evaluate and professionally clean your teeth, removing any plaque and tartar that can result in cavities or gum disease. If you are experiencing dental sensitivity or wish to schedule a consultation, please call our office at (505) 298-7479 or contact us online.